Saturday, January 22, 2005

Devilfish gets DaMatrixed

I won a £5,000 seat to my first major live tournament in Summer 2004 by beating 201 other players in a $10+1 Rebuy and Add-on satellite. The remarkable thing was that I did it without any rebuys or add-on!

Before our table began, I introduced myself to Dave "The Devilfish" Ulliot at the bar and I told him that I would be at his table; he said, "I feel sorry for you!". Ironically, I was the one to send the Devilfish to an early bath after cracking his pocket Aces with KdQd. I earned my nickname at this tournament from the Devilfish himself who kept referring me as the Matrix whenever I was involved in a pot - probably because he couldn't put a read on me ;)

In the crucial hand, I called a single raise from the Devilfish in early position with KQs - the best hand I'd had in a while. The flop was Q high, 2 rags, rainbow but giving me a backdoor flush possibility. Devilfish goes all in for the rest of his chips. The heat was now on me with 2 players yet to act. Did he flop a set(QQ), preflop raised with AQ for half his stack or have overcards(KK or AA)?

I ignored the first two possibilities since I held a Q. And out of KK and AA I swayed towards AA since I held a K too. Another reason why I put him on AA was that he started adjusting his tie during the hand. Before the tournament, a relative had given me a lucky tie to wear. I told my friends that if I was dealt AA I would adjust my tie so that they would know. In the tournament, I was dealt AA early when the blinds were low, and in fact had to lay it down on the turn with two tens on the board. Nevertheless, I believe Devilfish picked that up (he wasn't in the hand so was able to observe us closely) and had read me for AA hence associated it as the "tie tell". When I laid my hand against my opponent (John McCririck of all people), Devilfish said "Good fold. He definately had a Ten". So I was happy, even though Mr McCririck wasn't telling!


Devilfish and the "Tie Tell".

Going back to the hand and the "Tie Tell" - did Devilfish try to telegraph to me what he had? Nevertheless, when he referred to me as the Matrix again, I thought I had to call now for about a a third of my stack. Didn't raise to knock the others players out just in case I didn't improve against Devilfish if he really had AA. I hoped one or both of the players behind me would call so that I could either win a bigger pot if I improved/was ahead or build a side pot worth winning on the turn.


DaMatrix Calls.

Only one of the other 2 players yet to act called and I was very happy to see a King come on the turn giving me top two pair. Would of been equally as happy if a diamond came giving me a flush draw. But, now I was sure I was ahead, and made a small bet to try and get even more money in the already substantial pot, the other player folded though. The tournament director asked us to turn over our cards on their backs. I turn over my KQs - Devilfish turns over AA. Leaving him with 8 outs and a 18% chance of winning on the river.



Unfortunatelly for him the river gave me a full house and the Devilfish went home in a box.


Devilfish not so devilish anymore.

Jump to Final