Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Race for Bracelets

Played my first real money tournament at Full Tilt Poker. They are doing $24+2 "Race for Bracelets" tournaments this week - first prize being a package to play in one of the $1,500 WSOP events.

The start time of these super satellites for Europeans are not very good - in fact, I don't think I'll play another one. Nevertheless, I played the Limit Omaha Hi/Lo that started at 1am BST with 116 runners.

Having just won a WHUPC seat at Stans Poker, my confidence was high and thus my goal was to make it a double - I felt I just had to stay awake!

It was a long tournament and I managed to get to the final table after about 3 hours. Along the way, I made a "sick comeback" as player "AssMasterMan" described. With just 400 chips left after posting the BB (500), I managed to split a pot there - going on to build a 17K chip stack.

Early into the final table, the situation was this:


Bracelet Race: LO8B Final Table.

"The Shrike" had managed to gain the chip lead soon after coming to to the final table. POKERBAT was next out in 9th place. Incredibly, after about 30 minutes, The Shrike and gallagej had become short stacks. I waited for an opportunity to be all in preflop against one of them having them covered but when that happened against gallagej I got rivered.

As a result, I had to be all-in myself against Maverickdmb when he open raised and I reraised my short stack all-in from the SB to get the BB to fold and isolate my opponent. Preflop it wasn't looking too bad, I held AhQsQcJd (45%) against AdKd9s4c (55%) so I had +EV even though I was a slight dog. The board was Kh7c9d-8s-4d and I finished 8th. It was 4:30am and I didn't stick around to see who won.

Just looked at the final results:

7. The Shrike
6. gallagej
5. Jonah
4. AssMasterMan
3. Maverick216
2. Maverickdmb

and the winner was "Studpokerman". Nice job!

The Stud Hi/Lo Bracelet Race, which I really wanted to play but commenced at 3am BST, was won by "The_Nikoli" who beat 136 other players after 4 and a half hours.