Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hendon Mob League: Game 4

Good news. I did managed to play and finished 6th out of 59!

It was a game of two halves. In the first half I played like a one eyed lemon - mainly because I had one eye on the Liverpool v Chelsea match!

FIRST HALF
I got a couple of premium hands when the blinds were low but couldn't really do anything despite limping in with them. I should have been out in the 30s but I managed to double my short stack by going all in on the button with Q high despite being called by the BB with a K high hand.

League points are awarded for finishing in the top 20, so concentrated on moving from the 30s, to the 20s and finally into the points positions. Achieving this by carefully picking the right spots to go all in.

When we were down to 2 tables, I managed to double up again after THE_THIEF had made a pot sized bet in early position with 55 and I called in LP with QQ. The football match was almost over, and half time was approaching League Game 4 in the form of a 5 minute break. Just before the break I layed down 55 after THE_THIEF had once again raised in early position enough to put me all in. To be honest, I thought he had an overpair and thats why I didn't call. Nevertheless, I was happy to see what would happen after the break even though he said he had an Ace.


SECOND HALF
I never believed I would make the final table, but the players started to drop one by one... 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12. Thanks to Mathias_666 (a fellow Stan's Poker freeroll qualifier to the WHUPC) who came to the table urging me to hang in there ;)

At this point I was forced all in when I posted the BB with 54o and I was sure I was dead meat when three or four people called to check it out. At the same time, the short stack at the other table went all in preflop with AQ but got called and outdrawn. I was very fortunate to avoid the bubble and in the mean time my 54 had made 2 pair on the four flush board! At the showdown I was again surprised when one by one my opponents all mucked - none of them had a single spade for the flush.

So here I was now at the final table and in a good position to move up the ladder and gain some more league points especially since most players are playing for the money rather than the points. The difference betwee the two really isn't that great but when you are a short stack trying to maximise the points you get it helps a lot.

Thats why I folded AJo in mid position. I know that apart from the possibility of better cards being out there, the chances that some stacks could go to war is very high. Especially since big stacks can target medium stacks who are afraid to bust out before a short stack. Sure enough, a battle of the blinds occured, with the small blind all in with 33 vs JJ. The board came down AxJxA and even though I would have won the pot I think I made the right play. I was rewarded the very next hand when I doubled up with JJ against Grumbledook's TT!

I had gained and extra 4 places but my luck finally ran out when once again I was forced all in when I posted the BB with AQs. I thought I would quadruple up when the flop came ten high with 2 of my suit but Grumbledook's AT held up and I finished 6th.

Grumbledook went on to win League Game 4. Well played!


Game 4 Results.

I have now made the final table in 3 consecutive League games.

See the Hendon Mob League Top 10 Players.