Monday, August 01, 2005

VC Poker Cup 2005: Day 1



Stuart Fox won the featured TV table on Day 1 beating Tino Lechnik heads up. The other 3 qualifiers were: Thomas Gunderson, Robert Cooper and Rolf Inge Kavik from my table. I came 5th on Table 3 after my QJo lost to Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken's 55:


Rolf Inge Kavik


Day 1 Table 3:

I was drawn in Seat 7 on Table 3 and would have Jon Shoreman to my left and Rolf Inge Kavik on my right for the duration of the match.

I won the first pot when my second pair improved to the nut straight on the river and I was called all the way down by Shoreman. Soon, I limped UTG with 55, one other limper and the blinds see the flop. I flop a seat, checked to me, bet the min and everyone folds. I pick up AA in early position and raise 2.25XBB - every one folds. Blinds 50/100, I pick up 55 again, this time I open raise to 3xBB in late position. BB calls. J high flop, BB checks, I bet over half the pot, he calls. Turn is a 5. BB checks, I check. River is another Jack giving me a full house. This time, BB comes out betting 500 and I reraise to 1500 - he calls. I am up to over 12k and making steady progress.

Just before the first break though, blinds 75/150, I open raise to 450 with KK. CO calls. I'm heads up out of position. Flop is 3 clubs, Q/J high, I go for a check raise but he just checks behind me, Turn is a harmless looking 7. I lead out with a bet now and plan to go all-in if reraised. He just calls. Turn is another blank. I double my previous bet and he just calls again to show a set of 7s! I am back down to 8,000. No problem since the next level is still only 100/200.



After the break I get the worst run of cards and no spots for making a move especially since most pots were raised preflop and I might as well have been dealt one card - that's how poor my hole cards were. 200/400: Rolf Inge Kavik UTG limped, I limped with AJ, Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken on the Button raises to 3xBB and one of the blinds went all in for over 10k. Rolf Inge Kavik folds, I fold, but Gigabet calls with 77. Its KK against 77. Last time the Cowboys lost. 3 blanks on the flop, and Ace on the turn but a 7 on the river meant that the Irishman from Dublin was out.

My stack was decreasing and decreasing. Technically, I should have made a couple of moves way earlier but fealt that I had time to be patient especially since Rolf Inge Kavik wasn't attacking my big blind. In a way, I had to be since there was at least 2/3 people with better cards preflop every hand. At the second break, I only had about 5% of the chips in play. Eventually I pushed my short stack all in with 33 (the only other pair after that KK I lost with) on the button but nobody called, BB showed a deuce. Next orbit, UTG went all in, I had AQ on the button, I called all-in and doubled up against his A8o. Back in the game slightly, but 5 handed I was still in trouble.

An interesting pot when Rolf Inge Kavik, on the button, just limped in after looking like he was gonna raise. I complete on the SB with A3o looking to hit an ace. Shoreman checks the BB. Flop is 2 spades, I check, Shoreman goes all-in on a flush draw, Rolf Inge Kavik calls with KK and they finally hold up on this table. That was a key pot for the Rolf Inge Kavik who doubled up there as he then went on to win the table! But where was the ace on the flop!!!! Grrrrrr.....

600/1200: Meanwhile, I was still in trouble as going all-in would give someone 2-1 to call. In the CO, I push my stack in with AJs and win the blinds. Shoreman says he folded AT. When the BB hits me I have QJ. Darrell "Gigabet" Dicken on the Button open raises me pretty much all-in, I'll be getting 2-1 so this is the time for a bit of luck. Alas, Gigabet hits a set of 5s (about the 4th time that pocket 5s had hit a set) on the flop and I have 2 cards to hit a gutshot that doesn't arrive.

Rolf Inge Kavik went on to win the table.


Walk of Shame


Jump to
VC Poker Cup 2005: Day 2

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home