Thursday, September 22, 2005

BlondePoker Heads Up Challenge

Finished 4th/43 in the BlondePoker.com Heads-up Challenge held at PokerStars, losing to the eventual winner, -BW9-, in the semi final.

Played my losing final hand perfectly against the dynamics of the match, limping on the button with AQo, getting raised as expected and reraising all-in and getting called by A7o - unfortunatley the board came out as [3d 4d 7c Th 9h]. Via some aggressive play and good decision making -BW9- had built up a 41.2k:6.8k chip advantage before that hand anyway and so deserved to go through - just wished I could have made it tougher for him ;) 2 mistakes really that drove me to a short stack: Lost a big pot with KT v 88 and an Ace high four-flush against trips.

After my poor showing at the WHUPC (mainly due to being unprofessional and going out til 6am the night before), I felt I had something to prove - to myself more than anything. One thing I learned is that I need to adapt quicker to the new blinds after winning one match. Even though the ratio is the same I found that since the next match starts almost immediately online (if you are last to finish in the round) I was playing too aggressive/playing bigger pots than necessary.

It's like when you come off a motorway and your driving faster than it feels. As a result I was making poor decisions at the start of Matches 3, 4 and 5 (Match 1 only lasted 12 hands) and had to come back from behind in them. My comeback didn't get off the ground when my AQ lost to A7 in the semi though.

Match 1: beat Big_Fish83
Match 2: beat Aceby4
Match 3: beat debaser
Match 4: beat AdamM667
Match 5 (semi final): lost to -BW9-


Blonde H/U Results


That's back to back Blonde Cashes for both myself and -BW9- against some tough fields that included Dave Colclough and TonyG.