Saturday, September 24, 2005

Maxim Matrix

There's a VC Poker Cup article with a pic of me on page 139 of the November issue of Maxim.

Also, last night, I managed to catch the Big Deal with Doyle Brunson on the Poker Channel. I don't think I came out too well on it, you've got to remember though that it wasn't a serious game of poker - more of an opportunity to learn more about Doyle over the felt. If you read my report of the trip, you'd know that I was playing like a maniac during the rebuy period trying to build a stack, the friend I took along to the show was playing loose too trying to get chips. I also had a cold hence why I was sniffing! lol

Because the cards didn't come my way, I had to make full use of the 2 rebuys possible and what the show didn't reveal was how I managed to come back from last in chips to finish 2nd (not joint second as indicated in the show since I had more chips at the start of the hand).

All of that is trivial really. I'd say the importance of the poker on show wasn't that great. The show's importance was the appearance of Doyle - giving a chance to the viewers to learn more about the living legend. If you watch the show, focus on what Doyle does/says and you might learn something, ignore everyone else!

Next stop, the VC Poker Cup on Sky in November which might also have footage of my Maxim King of Poker win.


Maxim pic with compulsory cheesy caption


Some Saturday DaMatrix tourney results:

5/247
8/133
166/6220
200/7554


Ended the day with a mistake though that resulted in a poor 49/166 finish in the Round 3 at BugsysClub. Open raised in late position with AJs, got reraised for half my stack by cockney kid (good player) in of the blinds and instead of folding I went all-in. He turned over KK, So I had just over 30% chance of winning the pot to give me an average stack. Folding would have left me with less than a 1/3 of the average stack. My first impression was that he had a big hand, but then I persuaded myself that he might be good enough to attempt a 're-steal'. Didn't fancy hanging about anymore as a short stack and so I decided to gamble.

Moto: Play like a beast!

;)